Before any kind of workplace learning event, from team meetings to professional development workshops, the facilitator must take care of some basics before it begins:
1. Survey the location before the session to ensure there is adequate lighting, disability access, parking (if the session is off site), bathrooms, etc.
2. Check to make sure that the both the space and lighting are adequate.
3. Be certain that all supplies are ready to go
4. Check equipment to make sure everything is working and correctly placed
5. Arrange the room to maximize learning
6. Be certain that all participants receive pre-training notification and reminders as well as pre-training readings and handouts (this includes an agenda).
7. Know your participants before the training begins. Know their educational backgrounds, age spread, work experience, titles and roles, and their developmental needs.